The turnip and apple soup with soft cheese is a luxury appetizer for any meal, for the original taste that is obtained by combining contrasting flavors such as that of turnips, apples and soft cheeses. This soup is a variation of the turnip soup with apples and Stilton cheese, which is part of the English cuisine. In this case, the soft cheese replaces the Stilton, giving it a less strong flavor. Turnip soups have a long tradition in European cuisine, although often associated with humble homes and times of great famine. It is an ideal spoon dish for cold winter days.
This vegetable, turnip, has been supplanted by the cultivation and influence of the potato throughout Europe since the 16th century, although it has remained an important crop in some regions, such as Scotland, Galicia or Asturias. Slowly turnip has returned to occupy a prominent place in European gastronomy, allying itself with ingredients of greater “ancestry”, such as apples, Stilton or soft cheese. Soft cheese is a white, soft and salty sheep’s or cow’s milk cheese., which is often confused with fresh cheese. The difference is in the maturation: while the fresh ones have a maximum of 8 days, the tender ones are those that mature between 8 and 20 days.
How to make turnip and apple soup with soft cheese:
- peel the onion and chop the brunoise.
- Wash and clean the turnips, apples and potatoes. Cut into small cubes.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter, then add the chopped onion e to fry until become transparentwithout letting it brown.
- Add the pieces of turnips, apples and potatoes and keep stirring. Also add the soft cheese.
- Pour the broth into the saucepan and cook over medium heat for 25 minutesadjusting salt and pepper ea Pinch of nutmeg. Allow to cool slightly and then blend the soup and pass it the Chinese. If you want morsels, they can also be served ungrated.
- serve the turnip and apple soup with soft cheese on plates, and place a spoonful of milk cream on each one. Serve very hot.
Surprise your guests and family with this turnip and apple soup with soft cheese, which you can use as an appetizer and accompany with croutons and an additional portion of soft cheese, to add to the soup or to enjoy with bread.