Can there be any more comforting dish than a good soup? Warm to enjoy with every spoonful. Although we usually make it with pasta (noodles, little stars, letters, miracles…), it’s also very tasty with rice. And of course you can find it in a thousand ways, alone with broth or with other ingredients. One of our favorite versions is the Chicken and Vegetable Rice Soup, which we often use to make use of leftover chicken. I would also serve the same recipe with the broth and leftover stew.
One of the most important points in preparing a rice soup is that you must restrain the amount that we give of this grain. We want a soup and not a soup rice. In addition, we must take into account that it tastes best with freshly cooked rice, since the rice absorbs a lot of broth when kept for a long time and the consistency becomes pasty. Having said these few tips, let’s get to work.
- preparation time: 5 minutes
- cooking time: 30 minutes
- total time: 35 minutes
- portions: 4
- category: incoming
- type of cuisine: Spanish
- calories: 98 kcal per 100 g
Ingredients Rice soup for 4 people
- 150 g round short grain rice
- 1 liter of chicken broth
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 handful of peas (optional)
- 200g chicken breast or 150g chicken leftovers
- 2 free range eggs
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ground black pepper (optional)
How to make rice soup
Peel onion, carrot and garlic cloves. Cut the onion very finely and cut the carrot into small squares. Also chop the garlic. Heat the oil in a saucepan and sauté the onion with the carrot until tender, about 6 or 7 minutes. Add the garlic and mix well.
Add the rice, mix well and fry for a few minutes until it starts to turn transparent.Damian Serrano
Now add the chicken breasts to the pot. There should not be very thick pieces that are cooked with the rice. We can skip this step if we are using leftover chicken.Damian Serrano
Cover with the broth, bring to a boil and cook for 16 minutes or until the rice is cooked to our liking.
While the rice is cooking, boil the eggs in boiling water for about 10 minutes, peel and chop.Damian Serrano
8 minutes after the rice has cooked, add the peas.Damian Serrano
Once the rice is cooked, let it rest for 5 minutes. At this point, remove the chicken, crumble it up with a fork and knife, and incorporate it again. If using leftover chicken, set it crumbled and let rest next to the rice. Also add the chopped egg. Surcharge.
Simple preparation overview
- Chop onion, garlic and carrot. Heat the oil in a saucepan and sauté the onion with the carrot for about 6 or 7 minutes. Add the garlic and mix well
- Add the rice and fry for a few minutes.
- Place the chicken in the pot
- Cover with the chicken broth
- Bring to a boil and cook for 16 minutes or until rice is done
- While the rice is cooking, boil, peel and chop the eggs
- After 8 minutes cooking time add the peas
- When the rice is done, let it rest for 5 minutes. At this point, crumble the cooked chicken and add to the saucepan along with the eggs