Mexican food is one of the richest in the world and is one of the main tourist attractions in the country, for this reason there are gastronomic routes that will take you through Mexico with the help of your palada.
A gastronomic itinerary has an itinerary in which different destinations are connected that allow activities in which gastronomy is at the center of attention, i.e. it is a question of knowing the culture, traditions, customs and traditions through an intangible heritage as important and extraordinary as gastronomy.
Gastronomic itineraries of Mexico
In Mexico there are 18 food tours covering 155 destinations in 32 different states, 31 Magic Cities, 9 World Heritage cities, 14 natural and cultural sites, 25 ethnic groups; and by focusing on food, you can try up to 1,500 typical dishes and drinks from the countryside.
This culinary proposal proposed by the Ministry of Tourism (SECTUR). It has more than 500 chefs from all over the country who have combined tradition and modernity to offer you the best dishes.
The gastronomic routes are:
- The stoves between vineyards and the scents of the sea (Baja California and Baja California Sur).
- taste today (Mexico City).
- cuisine of two worlds (Chihuahua).
- The way of cocoa (Chiapas and Tabasco).
- The thousand flavors of mole (Oaxaca).
- The table of the garden and the sea (Sinaloa).
- The altar of the day of the dead (Michoacán).
- The way to the market (Morelos and Guerrero).
- From coffee to vanilla (Veracruz).
- dishes with history (Queretaro and Guanajuato).
- Cook to the sound of mariachis (Jalisco).
- the flavors of the sea (Nayarit and Colima).
- The maguey culture (Gentleman).
- From the sea to the lagoon (Tamaulipa).
- The sweet flavors of the past (Tlaxcala and Puebla).
- The seasoning of the miner (Aguascalientes, San Luis Potosí and Zacatecas).
- Between cuts and vineyards (New León, Coahuila, Durango and Sonora).
- The mixed ingredients of Mayab (Yucatan and Quintana Roo).
Some examples of what you can eat will be:
The stoves between vineyards and the scents of the sea
The highway runs from north to south and you will try dishes like red lobster, tuna, abalone, all prepared by the skilled hands of city dwellers; They also marinate all their meats with craft beers or rose wines, which are also very characteristic of the region.
This is in Mexico City, specifically in the neighborhoods of Coyoacán, Xochimilco, San Ángel, Polanco, and Condesa. The main dishes are tacos al pastor, tamale cake, sopes and quesadillas.
With this Chihuahua-centric route, you’ll be able to try dishes like bear broth (it doesn’t really contain bear, but rather lots of vegetables, lemon and chilli), Rayadas de Parra, discada, burritos, roast beef, and chilli with cheese.
This ingredient is the key to many typical Mexican dishes. This route focuses on Mexico, Chiapas and Tabasco. The most relevant are: ball tamale, calco shuti, bread soup, baked cochito and you can learn how cocoa is made.
This route focuses on Oaxaca, Tlaxcala and Puebla, the protagonists are clearly the Oaxaca mole, such as black, red, yellow, almond, Mantamanteles, green, among others; and also tlayudas, quesillo, beef and grasshoppers.
The table of the garden and the sea
Sinaloa. Here you will taste fish and shellfish typical of the area, all accompanied by delicious vegetables; as well as the woman’s bread, which is stuffed with pumpkin.
The altar of the day of the dead
This route through Michoacán will have you taste internationally renowned dishes such as carnitas, sugar skulls, placeras enchiladas, uchepos, pasta ice cream, churipo, curd atole and ice cream of different flavors.
Here you can travel from Nuevo León, Coahuila, Durango and Sonora to try its fruits such as apples, dates, walnuts and plums or cuts of meat such as goat al shepherd or fried kid. If you prefer port you can eat asado with poison beans.
You may also be interested in …
Magical Northwest Route, travel through Mexico
Little known archaeological sites in Mexico