Fanesca can be a very involved dish that can become a daunting task, not only because of the complexity of preparing it, but also because of the number of ingredients involved.
The key ingredients of this soup include different types of beans, which are commonly prepared with dried grains (beans and chickpeas), but it can also be prepared with tender grains such as peas and tender beans.
What are the ingredients in Fanesca?
- 8 sprigs of white onion
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 1 cup cooked young beans
- 1 cup cooked shelled beans
- 1 cup of cooked dust
- 1 cup chops
- 5 pieces of corn
- 1 cup chopped pumpkin
- 1 cup chopped sambo
- 1 cup of vegetables
- 2 pounds of cod
- 1/2 cup ground peanuts
- 3 cups of milk
- 3 teaspoons oregano and mint
- Garlic, Salt, Achiote
- All grains can be cooked separately. Keep a little water where the grains are cooking. Reservations.
- An infusion is prepared with onion, garlic, cumin and achiote. We mix the pumpkin, the sambo cut into small squares and let it cook until we see that the pumpkin and sambo turn into mush.
- We add the various grains previously cooked (beans, lentils, chickpeas, mote, corn choco). Add oregano and mint. Let cook for about 15 minutes.
- Mix the milk with the peanut and add it to the preparation.
- The cod should be soaked in hot water for about 2 hours to remove excess salt.
- Cook the cod with a few sliced onions and 1 tablespoon of garlic. When cool, crumble and remove the bones.
- In another chilled white onion with achiote, simmer part of the peanuts with 1 cup of milk. In this peanut sauce, the shredded cod is added and reserved to add when serving the fanesca.
- Once the flavors are incorporated there are versions where you can add some cream and grated cheese.
- To serve, it’s served with empanaditas de viento, slices of hard-boiled egg, and slices of fried sweet plantains. (I)